The Luminex xMAP Platform offers technological solutions focussed on customer needs for the analysis of
- Multiple PCR products
- Diagnostic antibody – antigen reactions
- Protein – protein- interactions
The Luminex xMAP technology allows the development of multiparameter test systems for simultaneous analysis of upto 100 parameters in a single sample. The technology is based on microscopic spherical polystyrol particles, the so-called microspheres, that serve as a solid phase for molecular detection reactions:
Nucleic Acid Assay
The microspheres are currently available in one hundred different fluorescent color tones of red and infrared, each carrying its own specific detection reagent on the surface. As a result, up to one hundred different detection reactions can be carried out simultaneously in a very small sample volume.
Multiplex asssays are performed directly in a microtiter plate. Each assay contains a mixture of different microspheres (Bead Mix). Each bead type is defined by an individual
fluorescent color tone and carries a specific detection reagent such as oligonucleotide probes, recombinant antigens or specific proteins on its surface.
During incubation of the bead mix with the patient sample complementary reaction partner (analytes) bind to the microsphreses.
Subsequently, in a second incubation step bound analytes are labeled by a specific green fluorescent marker. The amount of bound analyte correlates directly the fluorescent intensity allowing the quantication of analytes.
In the Luminex Analyzer the beads are analyzed for their red (analyte classification) and green reporter quantication) fluorescence.
Bead-based assays results in multianalyte profiles that provides an analytic value superior to any single parameter measurement.
Advantages of Luminex Technology
- Bead- based assays allow the simultaneous detection of multiple analytes in a single sample saving time, money and material.
- Bead-based assays are characterized by high sensitivity and specifity.
- Small sample volumes are needed (this is of great importance in CSF diagnostics e.g.).
- Linearity of signal intensity for up to 4 orders of magnitude
- Statistical analysis of each single analyte leads to unexcelled reliability (60-100 assay points for each analyte).
- You get reproducible numerical values. Readout and evaluation of results are fully automated by the Luminex analyzer.
- Multiparameter assays based on Luminex technology allow fully automated test performance and data analysis.
For detailed information see here: